>Definition of Wheat Germ:
1. Wheat germ is a part of the wheat kernel. The germ is only a very small part of the kernel, approximately 2 ½ percent in total. The word germ does not have anything to do with bacteria; it simply refers to germination. The germ is the reproductive part that germinates and forms the wheat grass. (www.wisegeek.com)
2. Wheat germ is a part of the wheat kernel. The germ is only a very small part of the kernel, approximately 2 ½ percent in total. The word germ does not have anything to do with bacteria; it simply refers to germination. The germ is the reproductive part that germinates and forms the wheat grass. The germ is the vitamin and mineral rich embryo of the wheat kernel that is removed during the refining of whole wheat grains to white flour.
· Packed with important B vitamins, such as folate, thiamin, and vitamin B6, and the minerals zinc, magnesium, and manganese. Wheat germ is a top-notch food.
· A "Germ" that Promotes Health. Wheat germ is very high in protein. It contains around 28 percent protein and has more protein than can be found in most meat products. The human body needs protein in order to repair tissue damage and to help minerals and nutrients reach our cells.
· The amount of nutrients that are contained within wheat germ seems endless.
· It contains more potassium and iron than any other food source.
· Also found in great quantities are riboflavin, calcium, zinc magnesium and vitamins A, B1 and B3.
· Vitamins B1 and 3 are very important to maintain energy levels and maintain healthy muscles, organs, hair and skin. · Another important vitamin found in wheat germ is vitamin E. Vitamin E is a very important antioxidant. It is helpful in preventing the body's aging process and also to prevent heart disease. Vitamin E also helps to prevent blood clots and is needed to strengthen the body's immune system.
· Wheat germ has been found to be very beneficial in order to keep the body in tip top condition.
· It is used by athletes in their diet to improve cardiovascular function and improve endurance levels.
· Body builders will also add wheat germ to their diets in order to bulk up and maintain the nutritional levels they need to perform.
· Vitamin E not only protects fats, cholesterol and all cell membranes from damage, it is also important for immune system function, cancer prevention and blood glucose control in both healthy and diabetic individuals. · **** Excellent source of fiber.
· Provides longevity and vitality.
· Improves reflexes.
· Improves the utilization of oxygen during exercise.
· Adjust the body during stress.
Wheat germ is a concentrated source of several essential nutrients including Vitamin E, folate (folic acid), phosphorus, thiamin, zinc and magnesium, as well as essential fatty acids and fatty alcohols. It is a good source of fiber. White bread is made using flour that has had the germ and bran removed. Wheat germ can be added to protein shakes, casseroles, muffins, pancakes, cereals, yogurt, smoothies, cookies, and other goods. Wheat germ can become rancid if not properly stored in a refrigerator or freezer, and away from sunlight. Some manufacturers prevent rancidity by storing wheat germ in vacuum sealed glass containers
· Flakes - Two tablespoons sprinkled on cereal, yogurt, juice, salads, etc.
· Oil - Wheat germ oil is rich in vitamin E, linoleic acids and phospholipids. Add 10 cubic cm to salads daily. You can also use it directly on the skin to prevent wrinkles.
· Capsules - If you do not like the taste of the oil but want its benefits, buy capsules of wheat germ oil and take it this way. For the recommended dose read the container. Be careful not to take more than the indicated dose. Vitamin E is considered potentially toxic if more than the recommended dose is taken. Always should be taken under supervision.